Marilyn Sylvia (Erickson) Canady died November 16, 2020, at her home with her family at her side following a valiant three year battle with cancer. Private family services will be at the Cedar Memorial Park Chapel of Memories. The service will be live streamed on Wednesday December 2, 2020, at 1:00 PM and may be viewed at https://client.tribucast.com/tcid/10152851.
Marilyn was born August 6, 1944, to Harold and Mary (Barth) Erickson in Decorah, IA. After graduating from Decorah High School, she attended Luther College earning a Bachelor in Sciences degree in biology. She began her professional career at the Mayo Clinic followed by the Veteran’s Administration Hospital. In 1971, Marilyn married Jerry Canady in Decorah. She was a loving, caring wife to Jerry and mother to their three beautiful daughters. Marilyn proudly raised her three girls into successful young women, after which she resumed her scientific career at Cargill Analytical and ultimately retired from Diamond V Mills. Marilyn always cherished spending time with her family, even more so during the holidays. Some of her favorite hobbies were reading, bird watching, sewing, and gardening, and she was an avid bowler. Marilyn was an active member of the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection in Marion, IA.
She is survived by her beloved husband Jerry, daughter Robyn and husband John McNicholas in Atlanta, GA, daughter Heather in Cedar Rapids, daughter Michelle and husband Richard Mach in Bowie, MD and brother Harlan and wife Lorraine Erickson in Decorah, IA. She was preceded in death by her parents and brother Ervin.
Marilyn and her family are extremely thankful for the care and support provided by:
• National Cancer Institute: https://www.cancer.gov/about-nci/overview/contributing
• University of Iowa Holden Cancer Center: https://donate.givetoiowa.org/s/1773/foundation/interior.aspx?sid=1773&gid=2&pgid=499&cid=1232&appealcode=2021GFWA
• National Institute of Health Family Lodge: https://fnih.org/donate/safra_lodge
• Unity Point Hospice: https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/services-foundation-donate-now.aspx
• American Cancer Society: https://www.cancer.org/involved/donate.html
• Right at Home, In Home Care & Assistance: https://www.rightathome.net/cedar-rapids
In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to any of these valuable organizations.
Cedar Memorial Park Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.